Monday, October 3, 2011

Chapter 3

As Dai was walking across the porch with Craig close behind her, she stopped. The stop was so sudden Craig almost ran into her.
"What's wrong Dai? Why'd you stop?"
"I'm not going."
"Finally! You agree with me!"
"No. If they went to the trouble to drop this off they can come to me! Once we hear the story we will decide the danger level."
"Okay fine!"



The both walked back inside and waited.
"Dai, what if they don't come here? The note said to meet them."
"They will Craig. Don't worry."
While they waited Dai did some research to prepare herself and Craig searched for a new home. About an hour later The doorbell rang.
"I'll get it!" Craig yelled up to Dai. When he opened the door his mouth dropped open.
"Hello Craig."
"You need to leave. Dai isn't here."
"What are you doing here Craig?"
"I live here with Dai."
"Did she get my folder?"
"I found it and showed it to her. So yes."
"Hmm...I bet you did. I need to see her and I know she's home."
"You need to leave now!" Craig yelled.
"Fine. I'll see her when you aren't around."
"You know what? It was pretty stupid to put both of our names on it."
"Well I had no idea that you lived here. I wasn't counting on you finding it, but it's okay. The truth will come out eventually."
The girl turned and walked away.





Dai came down as Craig shut the door. "Who was that Craig?"
"Oh! Girl Scout. Wanted me to buy cookies."
"You yell at Girl Scouts Craig?"
"Well...she was being really pushy Dai."



Dai looked at Craig bewildered. She had never known him to act that way before and she found it very odd. Craig walked away to the study. Dai picked up her phone and made a call.
"Hey. This is Dai. Umm...I need some help. Craig is acting weird. Give me a call back when you can. Thanks"



Dai put her phone down and suddenly had an idea for her book.
"Craig? I'll be upstairs writing if you need me."
"Yeah. Okay Dai."
Craig looked around the corner to make sure Dai had gone upstairs. He reached for her phone and hit redial.



"Damn! That's all I need!" He picked up his own phone and dialed. "We are beginning to have a complication or two."
"We can't have that Craig! I thought you had everything under control there."
"I thought I did! We need to talk."



They decided on a meeting place and time and Craig hung up. As he was walking out of the room Dai's phone rang. Craig walked back over and looked at the caller id.
"Hello? Dai's phone."
"Craig! Dai called and she sounded upset. What's going on?"
"Oh! Nothing Paloma. She said if you called to say it was a misunderstanding. Everything is just fine. I'll tell her you called her back though."
"Okay Craig. Glad everything is good there. Bye."



Craig hung up and went to recent incoming calls and deleted it.
"Dai? I'm going out for a bit. I'll be back soon."
"Okay. I'll see you later."
Craig left for his meeting and Dai was working hard on her book when the doorbell rang.



"Damn! What a time for the doorbell!"
She saved her place and walked downstairs. When she opened the door she saw a young lady standing in the doorway.
"Hello. May I help you?"
"Are you Dai Sakaue?"
"Yes I am. And you are?"
"Oh! I'm sorry. My name is Trinity Eden. Um...are you alone Dai?"
"Umm...what did you want?"
"I put a folder under your door this morning. I was here earlier, but I was sent away."
"What? When were you here?"
"About an hour ago. I was told you weren't home. So are you alone?"
"Yes I am. Come in please."



Trinity walked in and Dai showed her to the living room.
"Let me get your folder Trinity. I'll be right back." Dai walked out and left Trinity there. She came back a few moments later with Trinity's folder. She led Trinity to the couch and opened the folder on the table.
"Now let's talk start with these pictures." Dai looked over at Trinity and noticed a confused look on her face. "Are you okay?" Dai asked.
"Actually no I'm not."
"What's wrong?"
"This isn't the folder that I left for you."
"What?" Dai let out a nervous laugh. "This is what Craig showed me."
"Craig! Figures!. I had no idea that he stayed here when I left the folder. Look Dai we need to talk, but not here and not now. Can you meet me later at the beach? Alone?"
"Yes. Sure. Around 9pm?"
"Great! And Dai?"
"Yes?"
"Please don't tell Craig I was here this afternoon."
"Sure. Okay. I won't say anything."



After Trinity left Dai noticed her phone was on the end table. She picked it up to see if Paloma had returned her call. When she saw that she hadn't Dai called her again. This time Paloma answered.
"Hey Paloma. Did you get my message from earlier?"
"Yes Dai. I called back and Craig answered. He said that it was a misunderstanding and everything was fine. He said he would tell you that I returned your call."
"Well he didn't and that's not all! Strange things are going on with him. Believe it or not, but I'm worried. Can we get together and talk tomorrow?"
"We can get together tonight if you want."
"I would, but I've got something planned for this evening. So is tomorrow okay?"
"Yes Dai, but don't mention it to Craig. I agree with you. Something is wrong there."
"I have to go. He's home. I'll call you tomorrow. Bye."



 Dai hung up just as the front door opened.



"Hey! Welcome home Craig. Did you get everything taken care of?"
"Almost. What are you doing?"
"Oh! I noticed I had left my phone down here and was just checking to see if I missed any calls."
"Oh okay. It didn't ring when I was here. Are you expecting a call?"
"No. I'm just used to having it with me all of the time."
"Hmm...okay then. I'm tired. Going to go lay down for a bit."
As Craig was walking upstairs he noticed the folder laying open on the table. He walked back down to talk to Dai.
"Did the owner of the folder stop by?"
"Nope. I was just looking it over to see if I was missing something important. Have a good nap. I'm going to write some more."
"Okay Dai. Have fun writing." Craig was walking upstairs and turned back to look at Dai. "Dai if the owner of the folder comes by make sure and wake me up ok?"
"Sure Craig. I will."



When Craig finally made it upstairs Dai's stomach turned over several times. She knew something was seriously wrong. He was lying to her and she wondered why. She hoped Trinity or Paloma could tell her something...and soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment