Monday, October 3, 2011

Chapter 2

Dai for some reason wanted to stay in Argus' house. Craig quit trying to figure Dai out a long time ago. He told her he didn't think it was a good idea, but Dai insisted. Craig eventually gave up, but told Dai that he would be staying with her.
Dai decided to spend her day exploring. She searched for Craig to see if he would like to come with her. She found him in the study looking like he was deep in thought.
"Craig? You okay?"

"Dai! Hey. You're extra sneaky today." Craig let out a nervous chuckle. "I'm fine. Was just thinking about some thinigs."
"Oh? Is something going on Craig?"
"Nope. Nothing. What's up with you? Did you need me for something?"
"I was going to go for a walk and wondered if you wanted to join me. I want to see what's going on in this town."
"What are you trying to get into now?"
"Well I am writing a book. I need to find material."
"And your recent near death experience wasn't enough?"
"Oh please! That was nothing!"
"No Dai! It wasn't nothing. It was something. And the fact that you think it was nothing is the problem. Nothing scares you and it should. It's going to get you in trouble one day."
"You worry about me too much. I can take..."
Craig cut her off by placing a finger over her lips.
"Okay. Just hush. Let's go for that walk."

They walked all around town talking to people and trying to see what was going on in this little town, but found nothing of any real interest. Craig was relieved, but could tell Dai was very upset by it.



They made their way to the beach. The water was beautiful. The sun was just setting on top of the water and casting a beautiful light on it and the entire beach. Craig looked over at Dai and noticed the way the lighting glistened in her eyes. He reached for her hand and pulled her towards him. Dai looked at Craig and noticed a sadness on his face and in his eyes.

"Craig? What's wrong?"
Craig took a deep breath and looked at Dai again.
"The sunset. It was making me think about how close I came to losing you forever. If I hadn't found you in time..."
Dai cut him off "But you did. There's nothing to worry about. I'm here and I'm safe thanks to you."
"Dai as long as you live your life recklessly I will worry. What if next time I'm too late? And you wanting to stay in Argus' old house...well it's asking for trouble."
"Craig Argus is dead. I'm sure nobody knew Argus lived there."
"Regardless Dai, we should move."

Dai could see how upset Craig was. She hated seeing him this way. She gave Craig a kiss and touched his cheek.

"Okay Craig. Tomorrow we will find somewhere else to live."
"Thank you."
"I only want to see you smile Craig."
"Then no more reckless behavior."
"Okay, I'll tell you what. I'll make a compromise with you."
"Really? What's that?"
"Any reckless behavior will be done with you by my side. I promise no running off on my own."
"Hmm...okay, but if I think it's too dangerous we don't go."
"Deal."
"Okay. Let's go home."

As Dai and Craig left the beach a shadowy figure stepped out onto the beach. "Well. Looks like I found someone that can help me."


When Dai and Craig got back to the house, Dai walked to her room and turned to look at Craig.
"Thank you Craig."
"For what Dai?"
"Caring for my well being."
"Mmm...well that's what you do when you love someone. Plus it gives me something to do. Watching out for you is a full time job you know." Craig winked at Dai and cracked a smile.
Dai smiled back and said "I love you too Craig."
"Then why do we have separate rooms?"
"Because as much as I love you I'm not ready for that stage yet. We're just getting to know each other. We need to give it some time still."
Craig walked over to Dai and Kissed her goodnight. "I understand Dai. If you change your mind though I'm just down the hall."
Dai giggled "I'll remember that."



The next morning Craig was up before Dai. He walked to the front entrance to get the morning newspaper and noticed an folder on the floor in front of the door. Someone had slipped it under the door sometime during the course of the night. Craig bent down to pick up the folder and noticed it was open and there were some pictures and notes inside.

Craig sighed and looked at Dai's bedroom door. He didn't know if he should look through it now or wait for Dai to wake up and look at it together. He knew whatever was in this folder was bad news. If looked at it now he could decide if he should tell Dai or not, but on the other hand if he doesn't tell her and she finds out she would be mad. He decided he would wait for Dai to wake up.
Craig paced the room for what seemed to him to be an hour when Dai finally walked out of her room.
"Finally!" Craig said.

Dai chuckled. "Finally what?"
Craig showed her the folder.
"Looks ominous. Why didn't you just look at it Craig?"
"Because I couldn't promise myself that if it was bad that I would show it to you."
"Oh. Okay." Dai took the folder and opened it. She pulled out a small piece of paper and a snapshot. Her eyes widened as she looked at the picture.
"What is it Dai?"
She handed him the picture and piece of paper.
"I don't know about this Dai."
He saw her look of determination and sighed.
"Get dressed and we'll go."

Dai smiled and kissed him on the cheek and ran off to get dressed. He looked at the picture and note again. Maybe he could find a way to talk Dai out of going on this one. He would have to try even though he knew deep down that it would do no good.
When Dai came out he looked at her and said "Dai this looks dangerous. Maybe we should stay out of this one."

Dai looked at him, turned and walked towards the door.
"This can't be good. Here we go again" Craig said shaking his head and followed her out to the car.


No comments:

Post a Comment